Skip to main content


If you are concerned that an adult may be at risk of abuse or know of a worrying situation, please do not ignore it! Report it to Plymouth City Council Adult Social Care on 01752 668000.

We may need to follow up the information you give us and contact other agencies or services. You can also report your concerns using our online form.

What happens after I report abuse?

Trained staff will carefully investigate your concerns. What happens then will depend on the wishes of the person you are concerned about and the seriousness of their situation.

If they are in physical danger, making sure they are safe will be the most important thing. Dial 999 in an emergency (if a serious incident or a crime has occurred).

We will offer the person information and advice so they can make an informed choice about any practical help they need or action they want to take.

If they cannot make an informed choice, we will take action to support and protect them in their best interest.


  • Plymouth City Council - 01752 668000
  • Devon and Cornwall Constabulary - 101


If you know or suspect that a child is being abused, contact your local Children’s Services, Children's Social Care Department (Advice and Assessment Service) to discuss your worries with a duty social worker (see our child protection page) or the Police and tell them about your concerns.

Please act promptly. It can be very difficult to investigate concerns if there is a delay as some signs of abuse can disappear quite quickly.

If you are unsure, you may first like to discuss your concerns with someone who works with children and families, for example, school nurse or teacher (all schools have a teacher responsible for child protection) or health visitor,

Children's Services can receive information about children and young people who may be at risk of abuse from members of the public, friends or relatives, professionals (like teachers, doctors or social workers) or from the child and parents themselves.

If you have a concern you can contact the Gateway team - 01752 668000 normal office hours (9am to 5pm) or 01752 346784 out of hours.

There are so many ways in which children can be harmed and as parents we want to keep our children safe from all of them. The organisations and advice on these pages will provide information about how you can recognize what to do in situations that might cause harm and to prevent your child from being in those situations.

It can be hard for adults, including parents, to know whether or not a child is being bullied. A child might not tell anyone because they're scared the bullying will get worse. They might think that they deserve to be bullied, or that it's their fault.

You can’t always see the signs of bullying. And no one sign indicates for certain that a child’s being bullied. The NSPCC website has some detailed information and advice on how a parent can spot the signs of bullying.

The internet and ICT are changing lives, for entertainment, communicating, socialising and learning. Connecting to the internet is almost universal, whether via a mobile, music player, gaming console or even a computer. Keeping your child safe while they are online is one of the most difficult things for a parent and there are many organisations that can support you with this.  The Plymouth Safeguarding Board website has some useful information about how to keep your child safe when they are online. If you work with children and would like more information about how to keep them safe online a guide has been produced as an e-learning resource for adults associated with the care, well-being, safeguarding or protection of children in England. It is a not-for-profit publication, and may be circulated as a free-of-charge internet-based training resource

The NSPCC website has a page that provides lots of information for parents and carers on Keeping children safe across many areas of their lives.  You can find information on how you can keep children safe from abuse and other dangers, both online and in the physical world.

According to the Health and Social Care Information Centre in the twelve months before February 2015, 7,227 people were treated in hospital for dog bites in England. Children aged between 0-9 years were the group with the highest rate of admissions (1,159). The Devon and Cornwall Police website has a page which will provide advice for parents on keeping their children safe around dogs.

Back to top