Skip to main content

Special Educational Needs and Disability

Local Offer

These pages provide information on the services for disabled children and their families living in Plymouth this is described as the Local Offer. You will see in the boxes opposite that we have divided the different services into age categories.

In each age category you can click on the General Information and Guidance box which will take you straight to a number of different frequently asked questions and other information which we hope you will find useful.

The services delivered within the Local Offer for SEND can all be viewed by clicking on to the box in the age category. Some quick links have been added below to take you to information that is detailed in

How can I request an Education, Health and Care Needs Assessment for my child?

If you think your child has SEN, you should talk to your child’s early education setting, school, college or other provider. They will discuss any concerns you have, tell you what they think and explain to you what will happen next. The SEND pages on the Plymouth City Council website have more information that will help you to find out more about the process for requesting an Education Health and Care Plan

How can I find out more about travel arrangements for children to school or college?

Plymouth City Council will in some circumstances provide transport for children to their school or college. To find out more about how to apply for help you will need to go to the School Transport section of the council website.

What are short breaks and how can I find out more about them?

A 'short break' gives children or young people with a disability opportunities to have fun doing things they enjoy, spending quality time with other young people in new environments. It also means that parents and carers can have a regular planned break from the responsibilities of caring for their children

What happens if we don’t agree or things go wrong?

Plymouth Information, Advice and Guidance for SEND can provide support for parents and young people throughout the Education, Health and Care assessment process.

The Local authority has commissioned Global Mediation, an independent mediation service, to help resolve disagreements regarding Education, Health and Care plans.

How can I find out about the options available for my child when they leave school?

The Local Authority has commissioned a Transition Support Service from Careers Group SW for young people with SEND to provide the right information and support for them to make a successful transition into further education, employment and training including apprenticeships and supported employment opportunities.

The Local Offer was reviewed in October 2015 and the SEND Local Offer Review Report for the SEND Strategic Steering group is now available.









Back to top