Toggle menu

How to get adult social care support

How To Get Adult Social Care Support Panel

As we age or live with a disability, there may come a time when we require additional support to manage our daily activities and maintain our independence.

You can ask for an adult social care needs assessment, and this will identify the areas where you might be eligible for care and support.

The assessment will look at both your physical, mental, and emotional needs. You might need help getting dressed or just an extra stair rail, but we'll also find out what's important to you, such as being able to carry on working or volunteering or being able to meet your friends.

A trained person from the council or a partner organisation will chat with you about your needs and the sort of help you could benefit from.


The easiest way to check what help you might be entitled to is to complete our online self-assessment. It only takes a few minutes, and at the end of the form, you have the option of making a referral and requesting a formal assessment.

You can complete the form for yourself or on behalf of someone else.

Start the adult social care self assessment

What you will need

Before you begin, you will need the following:

  • A valid email address if you wish to be sent a copy of your self-assessment
  • If you are completing this form on behalf of someone else, you will need to know their personal details, for example, their address and contact number

After your assessment

If you're eligible for help, the council will agree with you on what care and support you need, and will help you arrange this. You might have to pay some or all of the cost of your care.

If you're not eligible for help, you might be offered information and advice that will put you in touch with other organisations, such as local charities, that can help.

Types of adult social care support

There's a range of adult social care support available, depending on your needs assessment. Broadly speaking, support can be defined as:

  • Home care: Carers visit your home to provide assistance with daily living activities, medication reminders, and personal care.
  • Equipment provision: This may include wheelchairs, grab rails, or other equipment to help you manage your home environment safely.
  • Support services: Services like meals on wheels, transportation assistance, or social care support groups can promote independence.
  • Respite care: Temporary care in a residential setting to give unpaid carers a break.
  • Residential care: Moving into a care home for 24/7 support with daily living activities and medical care.

The Care Act 

The Care Act, a piece of legislation enacted by the UK government in 2014, outlines the legal framework for adult social care in England, including Plymouth. It establishes the rights of individuals to receive support and assistance to meet their care needs, regardless of their age or circumstances. Find out more about the Care Act on the GOV.UK or the Social Care Institute for Excellence websites.



Continue reading


Is the information correct?

Let us know if the information on this page is wrong and needs to be updated.

Want to create a page on the Plymouth Online Directory?  Register for free and add a page - it only takes a few minutes.


Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email