Toggle menu

Caring for other people

Do you look after someone?

You are a carer if you provide (unpaid) support and care for someone who has an illness, disability, mental health problem, or addiction. Carers can provide all sorts of emotional and practical support.

Unpaid carers play a vital role in supporting the needs of some of the most vulnerable people in Plymouth.

Whether you care for an adult, a parent looking after a young person with additional needs, or maybe you're a young carer who looks after someone in their family, there is help and support available for you.

Remember - if you are struggling, you are not alone. There is no shame in asking for help. Everyone needs a little bit of extra support at some point in their lives.

Share your caring experience

Unpaid carers in Plymouth are being asked to share their experiences and what would help them in their caring role, to help shape the future support available.

A short survey is open now to carers of all ages. The answers will be used to help the Plymouth Carers Strategic Partnership Board develop a new Carers Strategy for 2024 and beyond, which will guide and help partners across the city deliver the best possible outcomes for carers.

An unpaid carer is anyone who provides care to another person, such as a partner, parent, child, relative, friend, or neighbour, who cannot cope without it due to either physical or learning disabilities, mental health or drug and alcohol issues, illness, or a long-term health condition.

Carers provide valuable and essential support to family members and friends, and the Board wants to make sure that they have access to the right information and services that support their physical and mental health and wellbeing.

The survey is open until Wednesday, 20 March.

Complete the carers survey


Help and support for adult family or friend carers

The homepage for adult family or friend carers, with links to useful information and documents. Includes how to register as a carer.

View page (Go to Help and support for adult family or friend carers)

Young Carers Support Hub

Plymouth's Young Carers Support Hub provides useful information and links to help our Young Carers provide amazing support to their friends, family and relatives.

View page (Go to Young Carers Support Hub)

Help for parent carers of disabled children

If you're over 18 and looking after a disabled child that you have parental responsibility for, you can ask the council for a parent carer's needs assessment.

View page (Go to Help for parent carers of disabled children)

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email