Young Carers Service - Barnardo's
Supporting those who look after an adult family member who has a serious illness or disability. Engages with educational services to reduce the risk of social exclusion or underachieving.
Young carers are children who help look after a member of the family who is sick, disabled or has mental health problems, or is misusing drugs or alcohol.
Their day to day responsibilities often include:
- providing nursing and personal care
- giving emotional support.
With so many adult responsibilities, young carers often miss out on opportunities that other children have to play and learn. Many struggle educationally and are often bullied for being 'different'. They can become isolated, with no relief from the pressures at home, and no chance to enjoy a normal childhood. They are often afraid to ask for help as they fear letting the family down or being taken into care.
Here in Plymouth our support staff will work with you to:
- Make sure you are listened to
- Support you
- Speak on your behalf at meetings and in school
- Talk about your situation
- Create a plan that focuses on you
- Provide groups for you to meet with other young carers and to explore the issues that affect you
- Build confidence, have fun and learn new ways to handle difficult situations
- Contracted and Approved Supplier
- 5 to 11 years old
- 12 to 16 years old
- 17 to 25 years old
Back to search