Toggle menu

Carer breaks and holidays in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland

There are different ways in which you may take a break as a carer.

Only you will know what type of break is best for you. You may need an hour each week, a day here and there, a week or two for a holiday, or a combination of all of these.

Several organisations can help you get a break. They may provide break services for carers or the person being looked after, or provide information to help you decide what alternative care services to use.

Unless otherwise specified, the organisations listed on this page cover England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Organisations that can help you take a break


Brings together accessibility feedback from 10,000s of venues across the UK including shops, pubs, restaurants, cinemas, theatres, railway stations and hotels.



Diabetes UK Support Holidays

A scheme aimed at children aged 7 to 18 years old with diabetes. Holidays are low cost, and a bursary can be offered to families who cannot afford the travel costs to the UK holiday site.



Disability Aid Trust

Pays towards the cost of a holiday care assistant for young people and adults with a physical disability (who are aged 17 and older) if they are unable to go on holiday without one.



Family Fund

Provides grants towards the cost of holidays and other services for families on a low income who are caring for a child with a severe disability.



Family Holiday Charity

Provides breaks at holiday sites or grants to help with the cost of a holiday, to low-income families in need of a holiday away from home. Grants are given to families who have not been on holiday for the past four years. The family must have at least one child of 3 years of age or over.



Holiday Homes Trust

Provides self-catering caravan accommodation for families, groups, and their carers. They cater for people with a disability or illness and low or single-income families.



Hospice UK

Provides a hospice information service with a directory of local hospices around the UK which offer short or longer-term breaks for people with a terminal illness.



Leonard Cheshire Disability

Provides a range of practical support services for people with disabilities and their families and carers. They run carers' breaks, residential respite care and short break services to allow carers to have either a short break or a longer holiday.



Options Holidays

Escorted group holidays for adults with learning difficulties. Holidays take place throughout the year around the UK, Mediterranean and other overseas destinations.



Phab England

Promotes the integration of people with and without physical disabilities. They run a variety of residential projects and holidays.




Provides holiday centres for people with disabilities and their carers. You may also be able to apply for a grant to help towards the cost of a holiday.



Shared Care Scotland

Provides a range of services including information and a directory of break services.



Tourism For All

Provides holiday and travel information for people with disabilities and their carers.




Provides group holidays for blind, visually impaired and sighted people to a wide range of holiday destinations around Europe, Africa, Asia, Australasia and the Americas.




An independent charity that can help you to find sources of financial support based on your needs and circumstances.




Is the information correct?

Let us know if the information on this page is wrong and needs to be updated.

Want to create a page on the Plymouth Online Directory?  Register for free and add a page; it only takes a few minutes.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email