Toggle menu

Register as a carer

Register Caring For Carers Panel

If you're over 18 and look after a partner, family member, or friend with an illness or disability, you can ask for a carer's assessment to look at how caring affects you and the sort of help you need.

You may be eligible for support, such as a personal budget to spend on the things that make caring easier; or practical support, like arranging for someone to step in when you need a short break. Or you may prefer to be put in touch with local support groups so you have people to talk to.

A carer's assessment will consider the impact the care and support you provide is having on your own wellbeing and important aspects of the rest of your life.

How to register as a carer

Registering as a carer is simple and all you need to do is complete the online form.

After you submit the form a member of the Caring for Carers Team will get in touch to make sure you get the information, help and support you need.

Register as a carer

How to ask for a carer's assessment

You can ask for an assessment when you register as a carer.

The assessment will look at how caring affects:

  • your life and wellbeing
  • your physical, mental and emotional health
  • your work, study, training, leisure
  • your relationships

What happens after your assessment

You might be able to get help:

  • with housework or gardening
  • with transport and getting around, such as taxi fares or driving lessons
  • to improve your wellbeing, such as a gym membership

The person you look after might be able to get:

  • changes to their home
  • equipment such as a hoist or grab rail
  • a temporary stay in residential care to give you a break
  • meals delivered to their home
  • a care worker to help provide personal care at home

You might also be able to get financial support such as a direct payment to spend on things to make caring easier.

If you're not eligible for council help we can give you information and advice and put you in touch with local organisations that can help.

For more information please email or call 01752 201890.

View the caring for other people directory of local services and organisations



Is the information correct?

Let us know if the information on this page is wrong and needs to be updated.

Want to create a page on the Plymouth Online Directory?  Register for free and add a page - it only takes a few minutes.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email