Toggle menu

Infection prevention and control

Control of infection is one of the key elements of safe care in health and social care settings.

Care homes are monitored by the Care Quality Commission (CQC) and must follow the hygiene code (also known as Health and Social Care Act 2008: Code of practice on the prevention and control of infections and related guidance).

What to do if there is an outbreak in your nursing or residential care home

If there is an outbreak or suspected outbreak of infection, it should be reported to Public Health England (PHE). PHE are responsible for advising on outbreak control and monitoring the outbreak.

Advice on outbreaks is available from health protection nurses at PHE. Advice on a food related outbreak is available from Environmental Health Departments.

For more information please email QualityAssurance&

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email