Prepaid cards are similar to a debit card and are available to anyone eligible to receive a direct payment from Plymouth City Council. The card is a secure and convenient way for you to receive your money so that you can pay providers, suppliers and employees for the support and care you need.
Benefits of a prepaid card
- The card stops the need for a person to open a separate bank account
- The card is very quick to set up
- There is less paperwork involved as the card provides an easy, real time monitoring system
- Record keeping is much easier
How prepaid cards work
- Plymouth City Council will apply for a prepaid card on your behalf
- Within five working days your card will be sent to you
- When you receive your card you will need to register it, this can be done either online or by calling the number provided with the card
- Plymouth City Council will arrange for your direct payment funds to be loaded onto the card
- So long as funds are available on the card it is ready to use 24 hours after registration
- You can then use your card to pay for services that you need as agreed in your support plan.
- Statements are available online or if you do not have access to a computer a paper statement can be requested from Plymouth City Council. You can also check your balance by phone or text
- You can set up standing orders to pay for regular items or services such as salaries for Personal Assistants
- Your direct payments will usually be loaded onto your card once a week
If you already receive a direct payment and would like to take advantage of the benefits of a prepaid card before your next review please contact us. We will request a card and provide support to transfer any remaining funds and transactions from your current direct payment bank account to the prepaid card.
If we currently arrange your support but you would now like to receive a direct payment this can be discussed at your next review.
For more information about prepaid cards please call 01752 668000.
Is the information correct?
Let us know if the information on this page needs updating.
Want to create a page on the Plymouth Online Directory? Register for free and add a page - it only takes a few minutes.
This page was last updated on 1 December 2022.