Toggle menu

Adult social care

Social care and support are services to help you if you 

  • need practical support because of illness or disability
  • care for someone receiving social care and support

Social care and support are usually paid for by either people who need services, their families or, in some cases, the council. 

How to get adult social care support

If you have any care or support needs you can ask us for a needs assessment.

Day services and day opportunities

Day services and day care are a great way to meet others and get out of the house for a few hours. It includes a range of activities, the chance to socialise and may include a meal.

Caring for other people

You might not think of yourself as a carer. But you probably are if you're looking after someone regularly, including your spouse or a family member, because they're ill or disabled.

Care homes

Care and residential homes provide accommodation and personal care.

Nursing homes

Nursing homes provide personal care but there will always be 1 or more qualified nurses on duty to provide nursing care.

Respite care

Respite care means taking a break from caring, while the person you care for is looked after by someone else.

Paying for your care

Depending on your situation, you may need to pay towards the cost of your care and support, or pay for it in full.

Adult Social Care Self Assessment

Check to see whether you might be eligible for social care and support and make an online referral.

Cost of Care Indicator and Financial Assessment

Check to see whether you may have to pay towards the cost of your care and make an online referral.


If you find it difficult to understand your care and support or find it hard speak up, there are people who can act as a spokesperson for you.

Arranging care before you leave hospital

If you or someone you know goes into hospital, help and support should be arranged before you go home (are discharged).

Help and support if have a disability

Help for people with a disability and who might require additional support.

Care after illness or hospital discharge (reablement)

If you or someone you know has been in hospital or had an illness or fall, you may need temporary care to help you get back to normal and stay independent.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email