Toggle menu

Tax credits for childcare - children between 0 and 15 (or 16 if disabled)

Can I Get Help With Childcare Costs Banner

  • For families with children under 16 (or under 17 if disabled)
    70% of childcare costs, up to a cap
    If you cannot make a new claim for Tax Credits, you may be able to apply for Universal Credit instead

Tax credits are closed to new applications for the majority of people from 1 February 2019.

How the scheme works

If you are an existing tax credits customer you can claim back up to 70% of your eligible childcare costs for children under 16 (or under 17 for disabled children).

Depending on your income, you could get up to £122.50 a week for one child or £210 for two or more.

You can use tax credits for childcare to help pay:

  • Registered childminders, nurseries and nannies
  • Registered after-school clubs and playschemes
  • Registered schools
  • Home care workers working for a registered home care agency

What's happening to Tax credits?

Universal Credit is replacing a number of existing benefits, including tax credits. If you are already receiving tax credits, you don't need to do anything now. 

If you cannot make a new claim for tax credits, you may be able to apply for Universal Credit instead.

You can't claim tax credits at the same time as:

  • Universal Credit
  • Tax-Free Childcare 

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email