Toggle menu

Universal Credit for childcare - children under 17

Can I Get Help With Childcare Costs Banner

  • For families claiming Universal Credit with children under 17
  • 85% of eligible childcare costs, up to a cap

Am I eligible?

You, and any partner, must be working, or you're due to start work, and are claiming Universal Credit.

Whether you can claim will depend on where you live and your personal circumstances.

How can I benefit?

You can claim back up to 85% of your eligible childcare costs for children under 17. You could get up to £646 a month for one child, or £1,108 for two or more.

Use an independent benefits calculator to find out what you could get

You can use it to help pay:

  • Registered childminders, nurseries, and nannies
  • Registered after-school clubs and playschemes
  • Registered schools
  • Home careworkers working for a registered home care agency

Universal Credit is being phased in over the next few years. It will replace a number of existing benefits, including tax credits.

If you are already receiving tax credits then you don't need to do anything now.

You can't claim Universal Credit at the same time as:

  • Tax credits
  • Tax-Free Childcare 

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email