Plymouth Primary Nurture
Plymouth Primary Nurture is a collection of nurture provisions providing short-term intensive provision to pupils struggling in mainstream education. Our organisation is compiled of the two Edison Centres, which are part of Discovery Multi Academy Trust, and the Star Learning Nurture Centre, which is part of CAST Multi Academy Trust.
We provide 6-week (full-time) placements for primary pupils who find mainstream education challenging because of Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs), traumas, social, emotional, mental health difficulties, additional and special educational needs, and those near permanent exclusion. We work alongside referring schools to set achievable positive outcomes for pupils to enable them to return to mainstream schooling, which includes training for staff and support work for parents and carers.
Pupils who may benefit from a referral to the Edison Centre include:
- Disengaged/disaffected pupils
- Pupils struggling with transitions, e.g. KS2 to KS3
- Pupils at risk of exclusion
- Pupils with mental health/trauma difficulties
- Family/social difficulties
- Poor attendance
- Literacy/numeracy difficulties
- Bullying/difficulty with peers
- Pupils with complex needs including ADHD, ASC and Attachment Disorder
What can the Edison Centre offer?
- 6 week intervention programme with additional pre-assessment & reintegration opportunities
- Support in a small group
- Highly trained, specialist teaching and TA input
- Access to trained therapists as part of a multi-agency approach
- Input from PSA
- Access to partner organisations, e.g. Routeways and Plymouth Parkour
- Theme based learning in core and foundation subjects through STEM
- Access to the broader curriculum encompassing music, art and PSHE, which provides holistic support and promotes resilience
- A 4 week parenting group for the parents/carers of each child
- CPD for accompanying staff in areas such as environment, therapeutic support and communication.
Referral forms and more information about the Edison Centre can be found on our website.
Many of our pupils will have suffered ACEs and traumas, or be struggling to cope with social, emotional, mental health, additional and special educational needs. This is when our learners find learning in a mainstream setting challenging and communicate through behaviour. We work hard with our young people to understand what they find challenging, rebuild relationships and improve emotional literacy and understanding so that these pupils can return to school successfully. Our goal is to improve the lives and life chances of the children and families we work with.
A child can be referred by their school where they will attend for 6 weeks at our Edison or CAST centre. We provide an intensive provision packed with therapeutic interventions, with a bespoke STEM based curriculum and emotionally available adults to model and support pupils in using appropriate emotional literacy. We work with our children to manage emotional regulation positively so their school career is successful.
We are open during term-time only.
- Junior school - 7 to 11 years
- Primary school - 5 to 11 years
Back to search