Friendship and socialising - Young Carers
Plymouth Young Carers
Get support and meet with other young carers every Tuesday at Efford Youth Centre. It's free to join but you need to have been referred by a professional such as your doctor, an educational psychologist, health visitor or your school. We'll send you a letter which will tell you when you can start with the group. You might be able to get a free taxi to get you to and from the centre.
Have a go at lots of fun activities like cooking, arts and crafts, sports, pool or gaming or just chill out! You can also take part in activities like ice skating, kayaking, cinema, ski lessons, and trips to Woodlands or the theatre during the school holidays and some weekends.
The young carers' project can:
- make sure you're listened to
- speak on your behalf at meetings and in school
- talk with you about your situation
- create a plan that focuses on you
- help you build confidence, have fun and learn new ways to handle difficult situations.
Fun and Freedom Club
Make friends with other young carers at the fun and freedom club. The club meets one Saturday a month during term time and once a week during school holidays. They also organise trips and activity weekends. Joining the club is free.
You can also get support from Barnardo's Young Carers Service.
Check out the Plymouth Youth Service which is a great place to meet new friends and share your thoughts.
NHS England- Support for young carers
Here is the link to a blog and song, showing the top 5 tips for young carers that have been developed in partnership with Young Carer Health Champions:
- Today on Young Carers Awareness Day - How can you help a young carer in just 5 minutes?
- Carers Trust
- Young Carers in School
- Action for Children - Young Carers
- Our Time- Helping young people affected by parental mental illness
- Young Minds
- Information on Coronavirus (Covid 19) for Young Carers and Young Adult Carers
- Top-tips-on-identifying-and-supporting-young-carers-during-Covid19-how-education-staff-can-help (PDF) [267KB] (opens new window)
- Coronavirus Carers UK
- Providing care during Coronavirus
Is the information correct?
Let us know if the information on this page needs updating.
Want to create a page on the Plymouth Online Directory? Register for free and add a page - it only takes a few minutes.
This page was last updated on 1 December 2022.