How do I know if I am a carer? - Young Carers
A young carer is someone aged 18 and under who cares for a friend or family member who, due to illness, disability, a mental health problem or an addiction, cannot cope without their support.
What could a young carer do?
- Help with the cooking, housekeeping, and shopping are examples of practical tasks
- Help someone get in or out of bed.
- Provide emotional support, such as talking to someone who is upset
- Provide personal care, such as helping someone get dressed
- Keep track of the family finances and collect medicines
- Help to give medicine
- Help someone to communicate
- Help look after a brother or sister
Being a young carer is not easy
- Young carers will probably spend less time in school receiving their education as they might need to look after someone during the day
- Caring can also be an isolating experience, but having the right support in place can give young carers a better chance of succeeding in all parts of their live
Remember - if you are struggling you are not alone. There is no shame in asking for help. Everyone needs a little bit of extra support at some point in their lives.
Young Carers Assessment
If you would like to request a Young Carer Assessment or Transition Assessment then please email firstname.lastname@example.org with 'Young Carers Assessment Request' in the subject field. Alternatively, you can call 07899950155 for an informal chat.
A trained person from Plymouth City Council or an organisation we work with will chat to you and your parents about whether you want to carry on being a carer and how caring affects things like:
- your life and wellbeing
- your education, training or work
- activities you take part in or want to take part in
- your physical, mental and emotional health
If you're eligible for help we'll agree with you what support you need and how your needs will be met.
Let us know if the information on this page is wrong and needs to be updated. Want to create a page on the Plymouth Online Directory? Register for free and add a page - it only takes a few minutes.
Is the information correct?
Let us know if the information on this page is wrong and needs to be updated.
Want to create a page on the Plymouth Online Directory? Register for free and add a page - it only takes a few minutes.