Why are so many young carers hidden? - Young Carers
Every school will have young carers but quite often they are hard to identify as they are hidden a for a number of reasons:
- The condition of the person they care for is not obvious so people don't think that the young person needs any help.
- Young carers do not realise that they are a carer or that their life is different to their peers.
- They don't want to be any different from their peers so they don't draw attention to their caring role.
- They believe that the school will show no interest in their family circumstances.
- They want to keep their identity at school separate from their caring role.
- It's not the sort of thing they feel they can discuss with their friends.
- There has been no opportunity to share their story.
- They are worried about bullying.
- They worry that the family will be split up and that they will be taken into care.
- They want to keep caring a secret and/or are embarrassed.
- They see no reason to tell their story and don't believe that any positive action will occur as a result of doing so.
Let us know if the information on this page is wrong and needs to be updated. Want to create a page on the Plymouth Online Directory? Register for free and add a page - it only takes a few minutes.
Is the information correct?
Let us know if the information on this page is wrong and needs to be updated.
Want to create a page on the Plymouth Online Directory? Register for free and add a page - it only takes a few minutes.