Work and benefit support directory for professionals
If you are a professional worker and you support children or young people in Plymouth, then you may find the following work and benefit links and resources useful.
We can all face problems that seem complicated or intimidating. At Citizens Advice we believe no one should have to face these problems without good quality, independent advice.
Debt Advice support:
- Explore your financial circumstances and the nature of your debts
- Provide advice on the options that may be available to you
- Signpost and refer you to other services that could help you
Universal Credit support:
- Citizens Advice Plymouth has launched a new service called "Help to Claim" for those who need help to apply for Universal Credit across Plymouth.
- People will now be able to get support from the charity as they submit their Universal Credit application to get their first full payment.
We also give advice on consumer rights on our consumer helpline, support witnesses in courts through the Witness Service and give pension guidance to people aged over 50.
Ernest English House, Buckwell Street, Plymouth PL12DA
08082787910 or 0333309043
Planning for the future can feel a bit overwhelming, especially when there are so many things to consider.
If you're aged 16 -19 there are a wide variety of learning and work options that you can think about. Don't forget, if you're under 18 you are required to continue in either full-time or part-time learning at least until your 18th birthday.
CSW offers a range of services to help guide you through your choices, provide information and offer support, from a quick chat to more intensive, long-lasting support.
Poseidon House, Neptune Park, Cattedown, Plymouth, PL4 0SJ
CTSW Skills Ltd is a private training organisation located in Plymouth who offer a wide range of qualifications including apprenticeships, NVQs, Diplomas and short courses in Bricklaying, Plastering, Carpentry and Joinery, Painting and Decorating and Commis Chef for learners of all ages, backgrounds and abilities.
CTSW Skills offer a range of flexible vocational training courses to young people, many of whom have significant personal and/or educational barriers, which would potentially adversely affect their attendance and achievement in education setting.
Unit 10 Burrington Business Park, Honicknowle, Plymouth, PL5 3LX
Various locations throughout the city including Frederick Street, Rees Centre Plympton, Salvation Army Hall Whitleigh and Devonport, Plymstock United Church, Sunflower Centre, Dell Children's Centre, Oasis Centre and Exeter Street Jobcentre. Call for the latest opening times.
Supported includes, benefits, education and learning, finding work, apprenticeships and pensions.
Queens House, St Levans Road, Devonport, Plymouth, PL2 3BD
Old Tree Court, 64 Exeter Street, Plymouth, PL4 0AJ
0800 169 0190
If you have been out of work for 13 weeks or more and are in receipt of benefits, Work and Health Programme - Job Entry Targeted Support (JETS) is designed to help you get back into employment.
- Personal assessment - support to identify goals, develop a return-to-work plan and access additional help if needed. For example, mental health, debt or housing support
- Job support - help with job search, building confidence, virtual interview preparation, CV building and e-learning
- Career options - support to identify new career options, develop transferable skills and gain sector specific training
- Self-employment - coaching to develop business plans, set up and manage the first six months of operation.
If you are interested in finding out more about the Work and Health Programme - JETS, you will need to speak to an advisor in your local Jobcentre Plus.
Project | SEARCH, is a pioneering programme that supports adults with learning disabilities in getting paid employment.
The programme is run by City College Plymouth, Plymouth Hospitals NHS and Pluss.
Trainees work alongside hospital staff, learning how to do clerical work, reception work, street cleaning, mail delivery, being a porter and even checking medical equipment. As well as working in the hospital, you will be expected to complete related coursework. Experienced teaching and employment advisory staff will support you. On successful completion, you may progress into paid employment, Apprenticeships or further individualised vocational training.
If you're out of work, our Restart scheme will help you build your confidence, skills and move back into work.
Your personal employment advisor will work closely with you, creating a tailored plan to help you reach your work and life goals, including:
- 1:1 coaching, advice and guidance
- Job search, CVs and interviews
- Support to enhance your health and wellbeing
- Priority access to local services, such as Citizens Advice
- Meeting local and national employers
Once you're in work, we'll help you settle into your new role and can assist with benefits, training, career progression... and much more.
Wherever people are, the Shekinah teams encourage individuals to visualise a future and find their purpose. Shekinah's award-winning training and employment programmes offer people an opportunity to re-engage with learning in a safe, nurturing, fun and motivating environment.
As well as therapeutically-based personal development programmes, Shekinah also run a construction skills programme in Plymouth and horticulture programme in Torbay. Shekinah's multi-skilled teams offer wrap around support throughout engagement and finding your reason for 'being' is at the heart of what is achieved. When interested, individuals are encouraged to explore volunteering and employment options. There are also opportunities to participate in work trials with one of Shekinah's business partners as well as engaging with Shekinah's social enterprise and charity shops.
24 Stonehouse Street, Plymouth
- Directory of services for professionals supporting children, young people and their families
- Early years and education
- Parenting and behavioural support
- Mental health support
- Physical health support
- Money and housing support
- Relationship support
- Support group support
- Targeted support
- Work and benefit support
Is the information correct?
Let us know if the information on this page needs updating.
Want to create a page on the Plymouth Online Directory? Register for free and add a page - it only takes a few minutes.