Liaison Psychiatry - Livewell Southwest
The Liaison Psychiatry team is an urgent and emergency mental health service based at Derriford Hospital.
Mount Gould Road
We are a specialist service providing mental health care in a physical health setting. We support the work of clinicians working in the general hospital, enabling the Emergency Department and wards to assess and manage mental health problems as they present or arise in patients being cared for by the hospital.
We are a team of senior and junior doctors. experienced mental health practitioners, nurses, social workers and physiotherapists.
Who do we see?
Liaison Psychiatry provides a service for individuals aged 18 years or older, with a wide range of mental health problems including:
- suicidal ideation
- problems with worry or stress
- anxiety or depression
- dementia or delirium
- a severe mental illness, such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder or severe depression, or a personality disorder
- the consequences of alcohol and drug use, including when co-occurring with a mental health problem
- social vulnerability that may have a mental health problem or trauma such as a component or root cause, such as homelessness or domestic abuse
- difficulty coping with a physical health problem
Liaison Psychiatry is not a prescribing service and cannot admit to Glenbourne or any other hospital directly. The majority of our patients are discharged home following a professional discussion about your needs and safety.
People are referred to our service by staff within the hospital and we see patients on the hospital wards or in the Emergency Department. Our team deliver a service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to people who are experiencing a mental health crisis.
People can self-present to the service by coming to the Emergency Department at Derriford at any time.
- Everyone, regardless of age
- Mental health
Back to search