Toggle menu

How to complain about a NHS service

Everyone who provides an NHS service in England must have their own complaints procedure.

You can often find information in waiting rooms, at reception, on the service provider's website, or by asking a member of staff.

You can either complain to the NHS service provider directly (such as a GP, dentist surgery or hospital) or to the commissioner of the services, which is the body that pays for the NHS services you use. You cannot apply to both.

In the event of a complaint about more than one organisation - perhaps a complaint that includes issues about your GP, local hospital and ambulance service - you'll only need to make one complaint.

The organisation that receives your complaint must then co-operate with the others to ensure you receive a co-ordinated response.

Find out more about how to complain to the NHS

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email