Toggle menu

Financial support and grants for home adaptations

Financial Support and Grants For Home Adaptations Panel

Living independently in your own home for as long as possible is a common goal for many people as they age.

However, age-related changes or a disability can create challenges that make navigating your home environment difficult.

Making home adaptations can significantly improve your quality of life and independence, but the cost can be a concern.

Fortunately, there are financial resources available in Plymouth to help you make modifications to your home, improving accessibility and safety, and allowing you to maintain your independence.

How the council might be able to help you 

The council might be able to help with equipment and adaptations to your home to make it easier and safer to live independently or for a carer to look after you.

This could be because of a disability, a long-term illness, a visual impairment, or old age.

Plymouth City Council works in partnership with Livewell Southwest to find the best solution to meet your needs. To find out if you could benefit from equipment or adaptations, please call 01752 668000 to arrange for an assessment by an occupational therapist.

The assessment is free, and some minor alterations might also be free. If major adaptations are needed that aren't funded, you may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant to help with costs.

Who else can help me?

  • Access to Work Grant Scheme: Access to Work can help you pay for equipment that will help you do your job. You can also use this to travel to work or if you travel for your job. The equipment belongs to your employer, and you do not have the right to take it with you if you leave.
  • Disability Grants: Your Guide to Grants for the Disabled
  • The Motability Scheme: Lets you lease a car, mobility scooter, or powered wheelchair using the mobility component of your Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP).
  • Turn2us Grants Search: You could be missing out on money that you never have to pay back. Use the Grants Search tool to find grants for which you may be eligible.

Applying for grants

Remember that charities and grant-giving trusts do not often give money for things that the government provides. Use the Turn2us Benefits Calculator to find out what you can claim.

If you need assistance to complete any paperwork associated with your Disabled Facilities Grant, Citizens Advice Plymouth may be able to assist. They can be contacted on 0300 3309 043.

Where to buy equipment to help you complete your daily tasks

Plymouth City Council, NHS Devon, and Livewell Southwest have jointly commissioned NRS Healthcare to deliver the Safe+Well service, and they have over 2,500 daily living aids that you can purchase by mail order, telephone, or online.

View the Plymouth Safe+Well website

NRS has a dedicated phone line with a trained team of specialists who can answer any questions you might have. Just call 0345 6461860.

Other places to buy equipment from:

You might also like 

  • Free assessment tool: Select the area of difficulty that is relevant to you. You will then be asked a few questions to guide you towards helpful daily living aids. 
  • Free telephone advice line: Complete the online form, and we will contact you to arrange a convenient time to call.



Continue reading



Is the information correct?

Let us know if the information on this page is wrong and needs to be updated.

Want to create a page on the Plymouth Online Directory?  Register for free and add a page - it only takes a few minutes.


Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email