Douglas House Care Home
Douglas House is situated near Plymouth city centre and offers residential care and support to young adults who have learning disabilities, mental health conditions and people that have a dual diagnosis.
Our staff are trained to support individuals with challenging behaviour through de-escalation techniques and behavioural management plans and strategies. Douglas House offers the people who live there a very person centred approach, which is tailored to the needs of the individual and involvement of the circle of support.
The individuals that use our service require 24 hour support in a safe environment which encourages and promotes people to gain confidence in their lives and promotes decision making and choice through a person centred approach, which is individualised and dependent on the specific needs and communication requirements of each person.
At Douglas House, we support people to gain independent living skills and gain confidence in decision making. Once people have achieved their outcomes and are ready for more independent living, individuals have the opportunity to move forward and live in a less supported environment.
How we can help
- Person centered planning, review and awareness
- Confidence and encouragement to make decisions, rights and responsibilities and promotion of access to local advocacy
- Budgeting skills and weekly planning
- Daily living skills, including meal preparation, cooking and domestic skills
- Assistance with personal care and encouragement to becoming more independent with self care
- Choice and support to attend college/events/activities
- Awareness of health promotion, health related conditions and specialist support to access professionals
- Actively participate in community events through one to one sessions and planned events with other individuals
- Individuals are involved in the recruitment and selection of the staff that support them.
- Involvement in our quality checkers project
- Medication self assessment programme - from understanding why a person takes medication right through to training and assessment to self medication
- Support to participate in weekly health and safety, fire and first aid checks, as well as nightly security checks and keeping safe awareness
- Participation in training and awareness workshops in relation to keeping safe, saying no to abuse, speaking out and recruitment
- Involvement in the Plymouth People first advocacy group.
About our property
Douglas House is a four bedroomed Victorian terraced property in central Plymouth and is only ten minutes' walk from Plymouth city centre, which boasts many places of interest such as The Hoe and The Barbican both stooped in History.
Within the city centre there are many shops, the Theatre Royal, cinemas, pubs and restaurants. The railway station is five minutes' walk away, which offers good rail links to London, Cornwall and the rest of the country. Plymouth has a ferry port that provides regular services to France and Spain.
Specialist support and care
- Young adults with a learning disability and mental health conditions
- Individuals held under the mental health act
- Forensic history
- Emotional and behavioural difficulties
- CQC Rating: Outstanding See the report for the care home
- Contracted and Approved Supplier
- Under 65
- Learning disabilities
Back to search