First Steps is a supported volunteering project for people who want a volunteering role as a progression to employment.
First Steps is a supported volunteering project for people who want a volunteering role as a progression to employment. A one-day "Introduction to volunteering" training course is delivered prior to exploring a volunteer placement. Once placed into a volunteering role, support will be available for a minimum of three months from a First Steps Mentor, as well as further opportunities to engage in regular group activities.
We begin with an informal chat to discuss the most suitable route and support that is needed, this can include:
- A one day volunteering training course prior to starting a volunteering role.
- Matching a placement to an individuals requirements.
- If required, guidance is available throughout the application process, and accompanying individuals to informal meetings.
- Assigning a First Steps Mentor to ensure that maximum benefits are gained.
Volunteering training course
This training lasts for one day and aims to:
- Outline key information required for volunteering.
- Explore the different areas of both verbal and non-verbal communication.
- Explore the different skills that are needed to present themselves (e.g. at interviews).
- Explore how skills used and gained during volunteering can enhance application forms or CV's.
- 26 to 64 years old
- 17 to 25 years old
Back to search