As a parent, it's your responsibility to make sure your child gets to and from school, however, in some cases, we can assist with transport.
Your child may be able to get free transport to school if:
- they aren't in walking distance of their nearest school
- you're on a low income
- they have got a special need or medical condition
- you've moved house
How to apply
Complete our online form if you think your child is eligible for free school transport.
Help with travel costs for 16+ with special or medical needs
If you're a student, 16 or over, with special or medical needs and can't use public transport, we may be able to provide assistance with transport.
You may be able to get help if:
- you live in Plymouth
- you're registered at the nearest school or college offering your chosen course
- you're attending a full-time course for at least 450 hours per academic year, over three terms (approximately 12 hours per week)
- you're studying up to GCSE A Level, National Diploma or equivalent
Transport will be provided:
- up to the end of the academic year in which you reach the age of 21 providing, you start your course before your nineteenth birthday
- at normal school/college start and finish times (unless there are exceptional circumstances)
You're required to make a contribution of £475 per year towards the cost of this transport. It's possible to make arrangements to pay this by instalments if necessary.
Students who are attending a residential school or college outside Plymouth will be entitled to one return journey at the beginning and end of each term and half term.
Transport will be provided at normal school/college start and finish times unless there are very exceptional circumstances to be considered.
How to apply
Complete the application form below and return it to School Transport, Windsor House, Tavistock Road, Plymouth, PL6 5UF.
How to appeal
You can request a review of our decision within 20 working days. You'll receive notification in writing of the outcome within 20 working days. If your review is unsuccessful you can move to stage two.
You can appeal against the decision within 20 working days of the review. An independent panel will consider your appeal within 40 working days. You'll receive notification in writing of the panel's decision within five working days of the appeal being considered.
If you still think your application or appeal hasn't been dealt with you can contact the Local Government Ombudsman.
For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01752 308770.
Related pages and services
This page is part of Plymouth's Local Offer.