Skip to main content

Plymouth Local Offer

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs)

What you'll get

You can apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) to cover some of the extra costs you have because of a mental health problem, long-term illness or any other disability.

You can get the allowances on top of your other student finance. You won’t need to repay DSAs.

How much you get depends on your individual needs - not your household income.

What DSAs can pay for

You can get help with the costs of:

  • specialist equipment, for example, a computer if you need one because of your disability
  • non-medical helpers
  • extra travel because of your disability
  • other disability-related costs of studying

You may get a new computer if you don’t already have one, or your current one doesn’t meet your study needs. More information will be provided to you if you’re assessed as needing a new computer.

You’ll need to pay the first £200, which is the minimum cost that any student is likely to incur when buying a computer.

2018 to 2019 academic year

Type of student

Specialist equipment allowance

Non-medical helper allowance

General allowance


Up to £5,529 for the whole course

Up to £21,987 a year

Up to £1,847 a year


Up to £5,529 for the whole course

Up to £16,489 a year

Up to £1,385 a year

  • Postgraduates can get a single allowance of up to £10,993 a year.
  • These figures are the maximum amounts - most students get less.

Check whether you are eligible and apply for a DSA

Further information and external links

Help if you're a student with a learning difficulty, health problem or disability (GOV.UK)

Plymouth Local Offer homepage

This page is part of Plymouth's Local Offer.

This page was last updated on 12 October 2018

Back to top