Audiology is the science of hearing and vestibular (balance) function. The audiology service sees patients of all ages who have hearing and balance disorders.
We carry out a variety of different tests, depending on the age and ability of the patient, and whether they have any specialist hearing problems, including hearing loss and tinnitus. Once tests are completed the team can make recommendations and provide appropriate rehabilitation. The department also tests patients who are suffering with their balance or dizziness.
- Appointments before 9am, after 5pm and on Saturdays
- Adult audiology care at a range of locations including, Derriford Hospital, Mount Gould, Launceston, Liskeard, Tavistock, Stratton or South Hams (Kingsbridge)
- Paediatric care at a range of locations including, Ivybridge, Kingsbridge, Tavistock, Mount Gould, Derriford Hospital and Scott Hospital, Plymouth
- A full range of modern digital hearing aids incorporating the latest noise reduction technology, adaptive microphones and connectivity e.g. Bluetooth and the loop system
- Years of experience in fitting high power hearing aids to effectively help people with severe or complex hearing losses
- A full diagnostic service delivered by university and workplace trained hearing healthcare specialists
- Strong links with the Ear, Nose and Throat Department at Derriford Hospital, so you can be sure that you are receiving the best medical care required
- Free batteries
- A walk in after-care service five days a week
- Hearing and tinnitus therapy for those with troublesome tinnitus or problems adjusting to hearing loss.
Clinics in the community are held for children and adults and an open access repair service is available. Paediatric clinics are held at Ivybridge, Kingsbridge and Tavistock and adult clinics at Kingsbridge, Tavistock, Liskeard, Launceston and Stratton. The clinics are held mostly once a month or fortnightly by appointment.
The repair service is a walk-in service at Derriford or an appointment can be arranged and booked at one of the outreach clinics. To make an appointment please contact Outpatients at the relevant centre directly.
Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust is the largest provider of adult hearing services in the South West Peninsula, seeing over 30,000 patients each year.
This page is part of Plymouth's Local Offer.