Skip to main content

0 - 25 Statutory Assessment Team

The 0 to 25 SEND Statutory Assessment Team coordinate the statutory support for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).

The majority of children and young people with SEN or disabilities will have their needs met within local mainstream early years settings, schools or colleges. Most mainstream schools/settings and colleges will be able to meet your child's special educational needs. You can use the Plymouth Online Directory to look up your child’s primary school/secondary school and read their school information report, this explains how they should meet the needs of students with special educational needs in their setting.

However, some children and young people may require an EHC needs assessment in order for the local authority to decide whether it is necessary to make provision in accordance with an EHC plan to support their progress.  An education, health and care assessment is a process where information is collected from schools and professionals to give a clear picture of your child's or young person's education health and care needs. An EHC needs assessment should not normally be the first step in a process of support for students with SEND, rather it should follow on from planning already undertaken with parents and young people in conjunction with an early years provider, school, post-16 institution or another provider.

At the end of the assessment process, the local authority then decides if they feel a student requires an EHC Plan which details statutory support for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).

Annual review paperwork for schools and parents

Moving to Plymouth

If you're moving to Plymouth and your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan of special educational needs (or is currently undergoing assessment) please contact the 0-25 Statutory Assessment Team; email or call 01752 307409 to discuss arrangements.

The team will need to receive:

  • details of your child's Education, Health and Care Plan
  • the date you will  arrive in Plymouth
  • your new address
  • your family details
  • the name and contact details of your previous local authority 

If your preference is a mainstream school please contact Plymouth school admissions (link) to discuss your child's new school. You will need to tell them that your child has special educational needs and an EHC Plan and provide them with details about the school your child was previously attending.

If your preference is a special school and/or your child is already in a special school, this will be considered, although the local authority cannot guarantee your child will get an equivalent school in Plymouth.  To request a special school admission a request will need to be made to the local authority panel, please email or call 01752 307409 to discuss the panel procedure.

If you have any questions about Education, Health and Care Plans, do not hesitate to contact the 0-25 SEND Statutory Assessment Team on 01752 307409 or at

Find out more about Education, Health and Care Plans (EHCP)

Related pages and services

This page is part of Plymouth's Local Offer.

Image of highlighter pen and checklist

Who to contact

01752 307409

Where to go

Plymouth City Council
Windsor House
Tavistock Road

Local Offer
Local Offer Flash

Local Offer Age Bands
Early Years
Preparing for adulthood
Needs Level
SEN Provision Type


Sign in to write a review

Back to top