Toggle menu

Council tax support

Council Tax Support is a local means tested scheme for people on low incomes to help them pay their council tax. Any owner-occupier or tenant aged 18 or over who is legally responsible for the council tax can claim Council Tax Support.

How to apply

You can apply for Council Tax Support whether you're unemployed or working. It could help to reduce the amount of council tax that you need to pay.

Apply for Council Tax support

It takes on average 19 days to process a new Council Tax Support claim. Claims can be processed quicker if the required evidence is supplied as soon as possible.

Our 'Average days to process a claim figure' may no longer be correct due to a recent influx on claims being submitted as a result of Coronavirus (COVID-19)

You must keep paying your council tax as billed, even if you have applied for Council Tax Support. 

How we make our decision

The amount of Council Tax Support you can get is based on:

  • your income
  • your savings
  • your circumstances

Changes to your circumstances

Most changes in your circumstances will affect the amount of benefits that you can receive. If you are unsure of whether your award will be affected you can check on the changes to your circumstances affecting benefits page.

Please tell us of your change in circumstances. You will need to provide your claim reference number that is shown on your notification letter, along with your National Insurance Number to help confirm your identity.

Report a change in circumstances

View your Council Tax Support online

Use Self Service to view your payments online. It's free and available 24 hours a day!

View your account on the Self Service Dashboard

Second Adult Rebate

Second Adult Rebate is Council Tax Support that is available for people who are responsible for the council tax, have reached the qualifying age for Pension Credit and who share their home with one or more adults (non-dependants) who:

  • are 18 or over and not paying you rent
  • aren't your partner
  • aren't responsible for paying the council tax
  • are on a low income

You can't apply for Second Adult Rebate if you or your partner receive Income Support, income-based Jobseekers Allowance or income-related Employment and Support Allowance. If you're not sure whether to claim Second Adult Rebate, make a claim for full Council Tax Support and we'll check your entitlement.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email