Toggle menu

Disabled facilities grants


A Disabled Facilities Grant can help with:

  • Stairlifts
  • Level access showers
  • Widening doors
  • Installing ramps
  • Through the floor lifts
  • Adapting heating/lighting facilities
  • Safe access to gardens

Who can apply for a Disabled facilities Grant?

Disabled people who own their home, rent privately or live in social housing can apply as well as people who have a disabled adult or child living with them.

If you need assistance to complete any paperwork associated with your Disabled Facilities Grant, Citizens Advice Plymouth may be able to assist. They can be contacted on 0300 3309 043.

For children's cases, the Plymouth City Council Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Occupational Therapy Service will support with completion of the necessary paperwork.  They can be contacted on 01752 305252.

How to apply

To apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant contact Livewell Southwest (for adults) or The Gateway (for children) on 01752 668000 for an assessment by an occupational therapist.

You can apply for a grant if you're:

  • an owner or the tenant of a property
  • a landlord on behalf of a disabled person
  • parents of a disabled child

If you receive a means-tested benefit or the grant is for a child you'll get a full grant to cover the cost of the works. The maximum grant available is £30,000.

If you don't receive a means-tested benefit, you'll be assessed to see if you've got to contribute towards the cost of the work.

What happens after you apply?

An Occupational Therapist or another appropriate professional will contact you (and/or family or carer) to discuss what you or your child/young person are having difficulties with, such as accessing your property, maintaining personal hygiene or using the WC for example.

They will consider and assess options, such as whether equipment might help you overcome the difficulties you are experiencing.

If these options do not meet your needs, they will discuss what physical adaptation(s) might help to meet your assessed needs. Alternatively, they may recommend you consider moving to different accommodation.

If they advise that an adaptation is the best solution, they will discuss and agree on the appropriate recommendations with you. They will complete the necessary paperwork which they will ask you to sign to confirm you agree with the recommendations which have been made. The completed referral will then be sent to Plymouth City Council, who will then write to you to advise that they have received your application and explain what happens next.

Demand for Occupational Therapy assessments is very high, and we need to prioritise those people who are most at risk. Your referral will be triaged and prioritised by the Livewell Single Point of Access Team for adult cases or Plymouth City Council Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Occupational Therapy Service for children's cases. In both instances, if it is identified that further assessment is required, your referral will be added to the relevant Therapy team waiting list.

If your needs change or increase whilst you are waiting, for adult cases, please call 01752 668000 or email

For children's cases, please contact Plymouth City Council Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Occupational Therapy Service by calling 01752 305252.

If you wish to make a complaint regarding your Occupational Therapy referral, this can be completed by emailing:



Is the information correct?

Let us know if the information on this page needs updating.

Want to create a page on the Plymouth Online Directory?  Register for free and add a page - it only takes a few minutes.

This page was last updated on 24 April 2023.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email