Toggle menu

Support for families and young people

Education, Health and Care Plans (EHCP)

An Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) is a document which supports children and young people with special educational needs in education.

Decisions about post-16 placements

City College Plymouth and school sixth forms have a wide range of pathways that are open to young people with special educational needs and disabilities.

School transport

If you're a student, 16 or over, with special or medical needs and can't use public transport, we may be able to provide assistance with transport.

Transition pathway planning

For most young people, and especially those with an Education, Health and Care Plan, growing up and becoming an adult is a time of change and development as they move towards personal independence and set out on their life path. This process is called transition pathway planning.

Programmes of support

Links to national websites you may find useful.

What is preparing for adulthood?

For most young people growing up, and especially those with an Education, Health and Care Plan, growing up and becoming an adult is a time of change and development as they move towards personal independence and set out on their life path.

I think I might have special needs

If you think you may have a special educational need or disability (SEND), it can be really worrying. The purpose of this section of Plymouth's local offer is to give you some ideas about what to do next.

Information pack for adults with an Autism Spectrum Condition

This pack is for adults living in Plymouth who have received a diagnosis of an Autism Spectrum Condition (ASC). We have produced this for you because we know it can be difficult to find out what information and support is on offer and how best to find it.

Personal budgets

Personal budgets are designed to help families have more control over their lives. A personal budget is made up of resources that can be used flexibly to support a child or young person with their education, health and/or care needs, as identified in their care and support plan.

I am worried about my child's mental health

Organisations that can help you if you're worried about your child's mental health.

The Mental Capacity Act

This page includes information on the Mental Capacity Act and why it is important to plan futures for young people.

The School Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO) Guide

Plymouth's 'SENCO Guide' offers information, resources and signposting for SENCOS and other professionals to support with Special Educational Needs and disabilities(SEND) policy and practice. 

Asylum Seekers and Refugees - Livewell Southwest

The Asylum Seekers and Refugees Service, from Livewell Southwest, works with asylum seekers and refugees in order to promote social inclusion and fair access to health services.

Beckly Centre - Routeways

We offer short breaks and respite care for disabled children and young people in Plymouth. Beckly is a Routeways project that enables disabled children and young people to participate in and enjoy positive inclusive and fun social activities in a friendly, caring and supportive environment based at the accessible premises at Radford, Plymstock.

Children's Disability Team

We provide support for disabled children and young people, their families and carers. We work with families to understand their needs and plan how to provide support that will make a positive difference.

Community Mental Health Teams - Livewell Southwest

Community Mental Health Teams (CMHT) offer support to people who have serious or long-term mental health conditions within their community. In Plymouth, Livewell Southwest has four CMHTs which are mapped to mirror the locations of different GP practices around the city.

Family Therapy - Livewell Southwest

Family therapy (Family and Systemic Psychotherapy) aims to help people in close relationships, such as families or couples, to develop understanding and deal more effectively with the problems they are experiencing.

Liaison Psychiatry - Livewell Southwest

The Liaison Psychiatry team is an urgent and emergency mental health service based at Derriford Hospital.

Looked After Child and Youth Offending Team - Livewell Southwest

The CAMHS Looked After Children team is for children and young people aged 0 - 19 years who are looked after by the Plymouth City Council.

Plymouth Children's Gateway

The Gateway should be used if you need help, information or advice relating to a child (pre-birth to 18 years old) or up to 25 years old if the child has special educational needs and disabilities.

Plymouth Information, Advice and Support for SEND (PIAS)

Plymouth Information, Advice and Support for SEND (PIAS) provides information, advice and support relating to Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) for parents, carers, children and young people within the Plymouth Local Authority area.

Plymouth Options (IAPT) - Livewell Southwest

Is the way that you're feeling affecting your daily life? Are you struggling to cope, feeling low, anxious or overwhelmed by your thoughts or feelings? Are you living with a health condition that is making you tired, frustrated and worried? You're not alone and we can help.

Plymouth Parent Carer Voice

The Plymouth Parent Carer Voice (PPCV) brings together parents and carers of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) in Plymouth.

Public Health Nursing - Family Nurse Partnership - Livewell Southwest

The Family Nurse Partnership (FNP) is an intensive support programme for girls and women up to age 19 who are pregnant and are sometimes facing a range of difficult circumstances, such as homelessness, social isolation, mental health issues, or unhealthy relationships.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email