Toggle menu

Your child at nursery or childcare

Find a children's centre

View all children's centres in Plymouth. Find out all about them and how to get in touch.

Free childcare in Plymouth

The Government can help with childcare costs for parents. Whether you have toddlers or teens, you could get support.

Find a school in Plymouth

View all schools in Plymouth. Find out all about them and how to get in touch.

Apply for a school place

Find out how to apply for a Plymouth school place and ensure your child goes to your preferred school.

School SEN information reports

All schools must publish a SEN Information Report on their school website.  The report should be easy to find, put together in a way that families can understand and reviewed, with families, each year.

How are special educational needs identified by early years providers and schools

Slow progress and low attainment do not necessarily mean that a child has SEN and should not automatically lead to a pupil being recorded as having special educational needs.

School Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO)

Each school has a Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO). The SENCO is responsible for the progress of all children with special educational needs regardless of whether they have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). 

What are schools expected to provide?

The majority of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities attend mainstream schools.

All about transitions

As we work together to improve outcomes for children and young people, we continue to identify that transitions are a time when there needs to be an enhanced level of planning and oversight, in order to make the transition as smooth as possible.

All about annual reviews

An annual review helps to make sure a child, with special educational needs, is getting the right help and support. 

Early Years - SENCO Guide

There are a number of key legislative frameworks which govern your work as a SENCO.  As a SENCO, it is vital to have a good knowledge of the key aspects of each.


Plymouth Children's Gateway

The Gateway should be used if you need help, information or advice relating to a child (pre-birth to 18 years old) or up to 25 years old if the child has special educational needs and disabilities.

Plymouth Information, Advice and Support for SEND (PIAS)

Plymouth Information, Advice and Support for SEND (PIAS) provides information, advice and support relating to Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) for parents, carers, children and young people within the Plymouth Local Authority area.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email