Toggle menu

Your child at school

Find a school in Plymouth

View all schools in Plymouth. Find out all about them and how to get in touch.

Apply for a school place

Find out how to apply for a Plymouth school place and ensure your child goes to your preferred school.

Changing schools

For many reasons, including the disruption to a child's education, it is better that children do not move school other than for normal primary/secondary transfers.

School SEN information reports

All schools must publish a SEN Information Report on their school website.  The report should be easy to find, put together in a way that families can understand and reviewed, with families, each year.

How are special educational needs identified by schools

Slow progress and low attainment do not necessarily mean that a child has special educational needs.

Difficulties with handwriting

Where pupils experience difficulties with handwriting, schools are expected to take a graduated approach to meeting their needs

School Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO)

Each school has a Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO). The SENCO is responsible for the progress of all children with special educational needs regardless of whether they have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). 

What are schools expected to provide?

The majority of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities attend mainstream schools.

Dyslexia best practice guidance

The Council and schools have worked together to produce guidance on supporting children and young people with dyslexia and literacy difficulties. 

School transport

As a parent, it's your responsibility to make sure your child gets to and from school, however, in some cases, we can assist with transport.

All about annual reviews

An annual review helps to make sure a child, with special educational needs, is getting the right help and support. 

In-year admissions guidance

This guidance is written for schools, however, families may also find many aspects of it useful. 

Young Carers Support Hub

Every school has young carers although many are hidden for various reasons. Currently there are over 700 young carers in Plymouth with many more that have still to be identified.

Independent specialist education provision, known as 'List 41'

Independent schools for pupils with special educational needs, including those approved under section 41 of the Children and Families Act.

Reduced timetables

The primary audience for this page is schools and education establishments.

Alternative education provision 

A key principle is that any pupil considered for alternative provision should be supported by a comprehensive plan. This plan should be person-centred, multi-agency and be underpinned by the assess, plan, do and review process. 

How do schools support students through transitions?

In Plymouth, we have worked with schools to produce a framework to support children who are making the transition between primary and secondary school it is called the 'Plymouth Enhanced Transitions Framework'.

The School Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO) Guide

Plymouth's 'SENCO Guide' offers information, resources and signposting for SENCOS and other professionals to support with Special Educational Needs and disabilities(SEND) policy and practice. 

Difficulties with handwriting

Where pupils experience difficulties with handwriting, schools are expected to take a graduated approach to meeting their needs. This would begin with support in the classroom, for example, being provided with a writing grip or being supported with the gradient that a pupil writes at.

Auditory Processing Difficulties (APD)

The aim of this guidance document is to develop an understanding of Auditory Processing Difficulties(APD) and to support best practice in Plymouth. 

Children's Disability Team

We provide support for disabled children and young people, their families and carers. We work with families to understand their needs and plan how to provide support that will make a positive difference.

Plymouth Early Help and SEND Advice Line

Plymouth has an Early Help and SEND advice Line through which you can book a conversation with a Family Support Worker to talk about any worries or questions you may have.

Plymouth Early Help and SEND Advice Line (formerly known as the Plymouth Children's Gateway)

In May 2023, The Gateway changed and is now known as the Plymouth Early Help and SEND Advice Line.

Plymouth Information, Advice and Support for SEND (PIAS)

Plymouth Information, Advice and Support for SEND (PIAS) provides information, advice and support relating to Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) for parents, carers, children and young people within the Plymouth Local Authority area.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email