Toggle menu

Support for families

What to do if you are worried about a child's safety

If you're worried about a child or young person or think they're being abused, even if you're unsure, call 01752 668000 or email

I think my child might have special needs

If you think your child or young person might have a special educational need or disability (SEND), it can be really worrying. The purpose of this section of Plymouth's local offer is to give you some ideas about what to do next.

Short breaks for your disabled child

A short break gives children or young people with a disability opportunities to have fun doing things they enjoy, spending quality time with other young people in new environments.

Educating your child at home

Your child must receive a full-time education from the age of five but you can choose to educate your child at home.

Education, Health and Care Plans (EHCP)

An Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) is a document which supports children and young people with special educational needs in education.

Adapt your home

If you're struggling to get around your home due to a disability, long-term illness, visual impairment or old age, we may be able to help with equipment and adaptations to your home to make it easier and safer to live independently or for a carer to look after you.

Personal budgets

Personal budgets are designed to help families have more control over their lives. A personal budget is made up of resources that can be used flexibly to support a child or young person with their education, health and/or care needs, as identified in their care and support plan.

Free bus passes

You can apply for a bus pass for free travel when you reach the female State Pension age (whether you're a man or a woman), or if you have certain disabilities.

Moving to Plymouth with a child that has special needs

If you're moving to Plymouth and your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan of special educational needs (or is currently undergoing assessment) email or call 01752 307409 to discuss arrangements with us.

I am worried about my child's development

Organisations that can help you if you're worried about your child's development.

I am worried about my child's mental health

Organisations that can help you if you're worried about your child's mental health.

I am worried about my child's speech and language.

Organisations that can help you if you're worried about your child's speech and language.

Asylum Seekers and Refugees - Livewell Southwest

The Asylum Seekers and Refugees Service, from Livewell Southwest, works with asylum seekers and refugees in order to promote social inclusion and fair access to health services.

Beckly Centre - Routeways

We offer short breaks and respite care for disabled children and young people in Plymouth. Beckly is a Routeways project that enables disabled children and young people to participate in and enjoy positive inclusive and fun social activities in a friendly, caring and supportive environment based at the accessible premises at Radford, Plymstock.

Children's Disability Team

We provide support for disabled children and young people, their families and carers. We work with families to understand their needs and plan how to provide support that will make a positive difference.

Children's Speech and Language Service - Livewell Southwest

Our friendly Speech and Language Team is experienced in helping children aged 0-18 who have difficulty speaking clearly, expressing themselves, communicating socially, understanding others, talking fluently, or feeding and swallowing.

Community CAMHS - Livewell Southwest

The Community CAMHS team supports children, young people and their families from age 5 until their 18th birthday, who are registered with a Plymouth GP and where there are concerns regarding emotional wellbeing and mental ill health.

Community Mental Health Teams - Livewell Southwest

Community Mental Health Teams (CMHT) offer support to people who have serious or long-term mental health conditions within their community. In Plymouth, Livewell Southwest has four CMHTs which are mapped to mirror the locations of different GP practices around the city.

Family Therapy - Livewell Southwest

Family therapy (Family and Systemic Psychotherapy) aims to help people in close relationships, such as families or couples, to develop understanding and deal more effectively with the problems they are experiencing.

Looked After Child and Youth Offending Team - Livewell Southwest

The CAMHS Looked After Children team is for children and young people aged 0 - 19 years who are looked after by the Plymouth City Council.

Neuro-Developmental Team - Livewell Southwest

The CAMHS Neuro-developmental team (NDT) offers an assessment to children and young people aged from 5 to 18 years who are suspected to have autism, ADHD or Tourette's Syndrome.

Plymouth Children's Gateway

The Gateway should be used if you need help, information or advice relating to a child (pre-birth to 18 years old) or up to 25 years old if the child has special educational needs and disabilities.

Plymouth Information, Advice and Support for SEND (PIAS)

Plymouth Information, Advice and Support for SEND (PIAS) provides information, advice and support relating to Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) for parents, carers, children and young people within the Plymouth Local Authority area.

Plymouth Parent Carer Voice

The Plymouth Parent Carer Voice (PPCV) brings together parents and carers of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) in Plymouth.

Public Health Nursing - School Nursing - Livewell Southwest

The School Nursing Service delivers the Universal Healthy Child Programme 5 - 19 citywide to improve health outcomes for the school aged population.

The Zone Plymouth

We are a charity which provides free and confidential information and support to young people in Plymouth.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email