Toggle menu

The School Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO)

Each school has a Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO). The SENCO is responsible for the progress of all children with special educational needs regardless of whether they have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). 

SENCOs also provide provide guidance and training for staff and may liaise directly with families to ensure that a child's support is coordinated and targeted appropriately.

Your child's teacher(s) and the SENCO work closely together. If you discuss concerns with your child's teacher or tutor, they may ask for advice from the SENCO.

If you are concerned that your son or daughter might have a special educational need you should contact either your child's class teacher/tutor or the SENCO to discuss your concerns.

As a parent you may want to speak to someone outside of the school about your concerns and ask for some information or advice. The Plymouth Information and Advice for SEND Support Service is a specialist support service for all families in the Plymouth area. The service can provide you with impartial and confidential information and support about additional or special educational needs.

Any teacher who has taken up the roll of SENCO since 2010 is required to complete the National Award for Special Educational Needs.  Plymouth City Council SEND Service works in partnership with Plymouth University to deliver the National Award to all new SENCOs.


Plymouth Local Offer homepage

This page is part of Plymouth's Local Offer.

This page was last updated on 06 December 2019

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email