SEMH organisations links and resources - Graduated approach to Inclusion - SENCO Guide
This section provides links to websites, documents, reports or books that provide user reviews, research, or DfE advice on identifying children and young people with mental health difficulties and planning appropriate provision. Reviews several approaches an links to further helpful organisations.
Plymouth Educational Psychology Service
Educational Psychologists use psychology to support the educational progress, development, mental health and wellbeing of children and young people from 0-25 years with complex special educational needs and, or a disability. The range of specialist psychological skills and knowledge covers the four areas of need identified in the Special Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice. Find out more about the Plymouth Educational Psychology Service.
Mental Health and Behaviour in schools
Part of the MindEd programme, the National Collaborating Centre for Mental Health (NCCMH) was commissioned to carry out the UK's first comprehensive systematic review of e-mediated therapies and computer-based applications for the prevention and treatment of mental health problems, and substance misuse in children and young people.
Provides advice and information on programmes to support positive mental health and emotional wellbeing in young children
Emotional Literacy Support Assistant (ELSA) Network
National and local information about the ELSA programme and how it supports children and young people with temporary or longer term emotional needs
Nurture Group Network
Information and guidance on the development of nurture groups to support children and young people with social, emotional and mental health needs
Early Help 4 Mental Health (EH4MH)
Early Help for Mental Health (EH4MH) service is delivered by three organisations, Young Devon, Kooth, and Virgin care working together to support school staff, children, young people and their families with emotional wellbeing and mental health needs. Advice and guidance for young people and their families, training and advice for school staff.
Award-winning online supports for young people to help them better understand mental health. Online counselling and supervised chat rooms. Useful articles, further contact details and easy referral processes.
Babcock LDP Social, Emotional and Mental Health Needs support team
Primary Support Partnerships (Devon)
Collaboration of Devon primary schools designed to support the development of good practice in meeting SEMH needs. Details of school based provision.
Marc.firstname.lastname@example.org or Anthony.email@example.com
- Boxall, M & Lucas, S (2010) Nurture Groups in School: Principles and Practice. 2ndEdition. London, Thousand Oaks, New Delhi: SAGE publications
- Bennathan, M & Boxall, M (2000). Effective Intervention in Primary Schools: Nurture Groups (Second Edition).David Fulton. ISBN 1-85346-706-5
- Collins, C (2002) Because I'm Special; A Take-home programme to enhance self-esteem in children aged 6-9.Lucky Duck Publishing. ISBN 1-873942-54-0
- Fauper, A; Herrick, E & Sharp, P (1998) Anger Management: A Practical Guide.David Fulton ISBN 1-85346-562-3
- Shapiro, L.E (2004) 101 Ways to Teach Children Social Skills: A ready to use, reproducible activity book. The Guidance Group. ISBN 978-1-56688-725-0
- Stringer, B & Hall, M (1999) A Solution Focussed Approach to Anger Management with Children: A group work manual for practitioners. The Questions Publishing Company Limited. Birmingham. ISBN 1-89814-993-3
Further training for staff
N.B. Programmes developed and techniques used may require training on a formal or informal basis from external agencies e.g. Thrive, Incredible years, SEAL, Circle of Friends etc.
List online training modules, support and resources - NASEN, NCB, IDP, Resources for LAC - NCB and CDC, Guidance for emotionally based non-attendance.
Online support resource
- Reach to Teach Awareness and Behaviour APP (£5.99 + VAT) Page 3 of 3
- Worth Publishing; Attachment Aware School Collection
This page is part of Plymouth's Local Offer.
This page was last updated on 24 February 2020