Toggle menu

Domestic abuse

Domestic Abuse Panel


Domestic abuse is when a family member or someone you're in a couple relationship with treats you in a way that harms you physically, emotionally or sexually. It can include:

  • physical violence such as hitting, kicking, pushing or chocking
  • emotional abuse and controlling behaviour such as stopping you seeing family or friends, being jealous or possessive, threatening, putting you down, bullying or blackmailing
  • sexual violence such as forcing you to do something you don't want to do, pressuring you to have sex, or making you watch pornography
  • financial abuse such as not letting you work or taking your money.

Domestic abuse happens in all communities to people from all backgrounds and anyone can be a victim.

How to report domestic abuse

If you're worried about violence or abuse from your partner, ex-partner or a member of your family you can get help and advice.

For help in an emergency call 999 or you can call the police on 101 in a non-emergency.

Report a domestic abuse incident online

Please note: this service is for reporting controlling, bullying, threatening or violent behaviour between partners, ex-partners, family members or carers.

If what you want to report to us involves people who aren't related to each other in that way, please use online crime reporting service.

Who can help me?

Plymouth Domestic Abuse Service (PDAS) and refuge

Whether you are in the process of leaving a relationship, wish to stay or have left, we can help. PDAS can provide office or community-based support, whichever is most appropriate.

Phone          01752 252033 or 562286 



Trevi is a local charity offering a range of support for women. The Sunflower Centre offers a safe space for women to receive support and connect with other women. 

Phone          01752 977614



If you're being abused or you're a family member of someone that's being abused call the Refuge 24 hour helpline.

Phone          0808 2000 247


Women's Aid

Women's Aid is a grassroots federation working together to provide life-saving services in England and build a future where domestic abuse is not tolerated.



Men's Advice Line

If you're a man experiencing domestic violence and abuse from a partner (or ex-partner) call the Men's Advice Line. Men's Advice Line is a team of friendly Advisors who will listen and believe you. Their team are available to offer you non-judgmental support, practical advice and information.

Phone          0808 801 0327


Victim Support

Victim Support is an independent charity dedicated to supporting victims of crime and traumatic incidents. They provide specialist help to support people to cope and move on to the point where they feel they are back on track with their lives.

Phone          0808 168 9111



The National Domestic Abuse Helpline is for women experiencing any kind of domestic abuse and concerned friends, family and colleagues looking to support someone who may be experiencing domestic abuse.

Phone          0808 2000 247


Help for abusers

Respect phoneline

Respect phoneline is a confidential and anonymous helpline offering advice, information and support for anyone concerned about their violence and/or abuse towards a partner or ex-partner.

Phone          0808 8024 040



Ahimsa is a local domestic violence programme for those who are violent and/or abusive towards a partner or ex-partner.

Phone          01752 213535


Free 24 hour helplines

  • Refuge: 0808 2000 247
  • NHS: 111
  • Samaritans: 116 123
  • Childline: 0800 1111
  • NSPCC: 0808 800 5000
  • Family lives: 0808 800 2222
  • Shelter: 0808 800 4444



Is the information correct?

Let us know if the information on this page needs updating.

Want to create a page on the Plymouth Online Directory?  Register for free and add a page - it only takes a few minutes.


Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email